Thursday, October 25, 2012

Christmas Shopping!

It is just over 8 weeks till Christmas! How'd that happen? It all seemed to come around so fast, I remember just yesterday I was posting on Facebook that there was 19 weeks till Christmas and well here we are.

I love shopping and shopping for Christmas presents is no exception. Some people have a list a mile long of people to buy for and others only have a small family..either way how do you tackle it? I figure like all good things you need a plan.

I personally like to make a list of who I need to buy for and what I think might be good for them.
This then seems to give me some sort of direction when I hit the local shops and am easily distracted by the all the pretty things. By having a plan I figure you have a focus.

I generally plan to hit the shops and get all the presents I need in one go. I have been finding though that it is beneficial to be open to it all year round. Quite often something will pop up and it is perfect and you just know if you leave it and come back it will be gone. So I guess in this regard my plans tend to evolve with how productive the year has been.

If you are lucky sometimes things just fall into your lap. This has been the case with my mother in laws gift. My mother in law is obsessed with pelicans, I mean they are beautiful creatures but she is truly in love with them. My 5 year old daughter will even point one out if she sees one and tells me "there is a pelican for nan". In the beginning it was easy, I mean we bought ceramic pelicans, wood pelicans, material pelicans, steel pelicans, pelican magnets, pelican windchimes, pelican ornaments and even pelican bags but it is now becoming slim pickings, try it, trust me it is not easy!  Then I ran into a lady at a local market that handmakes sculptures - 1 pelican please and we are done.

I like to have all my shopping done by 1 December so I can feel all organised. I find my daughter the easiest to buy for and often pop things in the cupboard as I go through the year. I think it is kinda hard with kids though because there interest changes as often as their clothes.

So my method is a list of good ideas and the flexibility of abandoning it if something better comes along. Plus embracing the possibilty of buying things through the year and storing them away till the jolly man makes his entarance!

How do you organise your Christmas shopping? and is it done, in progress, not started?



1 comment:

  1. I wish I was a little more organised, I used to be but I haven't even started this year!! I always have my daughters with me lately when I am at the shops. I think I will be doing a mad rush day closer to the day this year.

    ReplyDelete