Sunday, October 07, 2012

Why Couldn't The Chicken Just Stay Home?

If he did it would of saved me alot of heartache, you see, I am cursed...well chicken cursed that is. I know that it sounds really weird but it's true.

I am someone who likes to cook, I don't think i'm all that good at it but I generally enjoy it, and that's all that counts right? A month or so back I decided that I would try cooking a BBQ chicken at home in the oven. My mum is always saying that these type of baked dinners are so easy and that you just chuck everything in the oven and sit back. Gourmet meal....sitting doing nothing? my kind of deal!

So I bit the bullet on the weekly shopping trip to Aldi and decided to buy one of their fresh marinated chickens. I was so excited! I read the packaging carefully and got the trays all ready, put it in the oven and sat back. That was until about an hour later when i suddenly panicked. I had remembered seeing that absorption bag underneath the chicken...surely I took it out?. I went to the kitchen and searched the packaging..nope, it was then i realised i'd left it attached to the underside of the chicken. Yep, the quick search of the oven confirmed it, it was still sitting nicely under the chicken, rather well cooked but still there.

I was devastated, there was no way we could eat it now, who knows what they put in those packages and it had been heated...I wouldn't risk any of us getting sick, so bin it went. I swear I cried a little...but anyway.

I decided i would try and cook another chicken tonight, my mother in law laughed when i told her what had happened with my first chicken, well who can blame her really? But she gave me great advice, she said "you'll never make that mistake again" which is true. I prepared the chicken (remembering to take out the absorption packet) and the vegetables and it was looking fabulous. I finally decided it was ready and I got everything prepared and served it up. I out did myself, chicken, potatoes, pumpkin, onion...just drool worthy. I took my hubby and daughter their plates and then I heard it, in the kitchen...an almighty crash.

There was no point even looking, I knew what had happened. My plate packed with that yummy roast dinner had somehow fallen off the bench....so sad.

So I tell you that am chicken cursed and I believe I know why.

The day I bought the first chicken we were going to my mums. We often drop my daughter off with my mum (nan) to stay while we do the groceries, this is because my daughter has deemed grocery shopping boring. Anyways, we were driving there and we drove past this chicken on the side of the road. The poor chicken had obviously escaped its yard and I told my husband to stop. He laughed at me, there was no way he was stopping for me to help this chicken. I'm an animal lover and I felt bad for this little chicken who was obviously distressed from being stuck on the other side of the fence.

On the way to the shops after dropping my daughter off it was still there and my husband promised if the chicken was still there after shopping we would stop (I think that this was just to shut me up). Alas the chicken was gone on our return, I personally hope its owners noticed it was missing or it figured out how to get back into its home.

But since that day I have a bad feeling about this whole chicken thing. I'm obviously being punished for not helping that poor chicken. I really think that it should be him (my husband) who is punished and not me because I was willing to be the chicken good samaritan, but I digress.....

So I had to have the left over crappy chicken bits and the veggies. All the nice meat on my plate was covered in broken ceramic so that was a no go, not that i would have eaten it off the floor right?

I am sure I will attempt to cook it again sometime in the future but for now i'm just too chicken!!





 


1 comment:

  1. A participating blogger from Blogtoberfest popping by for a visit...

    LOL!!! I love your story about the chicken curse you think you have - its VERY funny and very cute! I agree that your husband should be the one to be cursed since he did not want to stop to help a poor little chicken get back to his home, but we can hope that he managed all by himself since he managed to get out in the first place ;)

    Also love the post about the Elf on the Shelf - though I am a person who hates to see holiday trimmings in August/September, I do love the trimmings for the holiday during December and I love the idea of having an Elf that reports back to the Big Chief of the North - thanks for sharing the wonderful idea! I can see I may have to peek back here again for great laughs and ideas =-)

    ReplyDelete