Friday, October 05, 2012

Is Your Child Tech-o?

My beautiful mother in law is for ever saying that kids these days are so tech-o! For those who aren't familiar with my mother in laws language (everyone?) she is amazed by how well children of today can handle and utilise all this technology that is available to them.

I mean, lets face it, our kids live in a growing technological world and my almost 6 year old can use my Iphone, Ipod and Remote Control better than I can at times. By no means does this mean I think that kids should be using this kind of technology 24/7 but it does have its place..well in my world at least.

International flights, doctors offices and long car trips have been made much more bearable when you are able to whip out the Ipod for entertainment rather than them being bored.

I don't know about other parents but I feel a little better about my daughter playing on the Ipod if she is at least doing something educational. By all means I do enjoy watching a Charlie & Lola episode once in awhile..well who wouldnt! But i do tend to feel better if she is entertaining herself and learning at the same time.

I found it so hard to find good apps for my child. I would search in search engines and most recommendations and lists were the same - Angry Birds, Cut The Rope, Doodle Jump, Fruit Ninja etc.

To me these are fine but I really wanted to find some apps that were a little more my daughters style. So for this, I had to do alot of research of my own, there were some absolutley fantastic apps and some that I cannot believe are even allowed to be sold for money they were so incredibly bad.

Since I had done all this research and found some great gems I thought I would compile a list of applications from the Apple Itunes Store (these apps may be able to be found in an android store, I do not know. I am an Apple user hence these are Apple apps)

I am in no way affiliated with any of these apps, I paid for all of them, where applicable (some were free on Itunes) All opinions are my own and my daughters, she loves them too!

So here is a list of our top apps all available from the Apple ITunes Store

Paper Town



http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/paper-town-friends/id375261895?mt=8

$1.99

Paper Town is a virtual dress up application. It consists of animal themed paper dolls which you can dress up. It enables you to change their headwear, shirt, pants/skirt, shoes and accessories. Once you have completed your doll you have the option of saving it to your camera roll. It is a very cute little app and I am a sucker for cute things.


Toca Kitchen Monsters



http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/toca-kitchen-monsters/id510301841?mt=8

Free

This is a fun and addictive app, even for the grown ups. Toca Kitchen Monsters gives you the wonderful job of feeding one of two monsters. There is a variety of food in the fridge and many ways to prepare the food including boiling, frying, microwaving and blending. These monsters are cute but there can be a few surprises if they do not like what you have served them.


Giraffes Matching Zoo



http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/giraffes-matching-zoo/id320105340?mt=8

Free

This app is a memory themed app which is designed in the zoo/animal theme. The animals are cute and the graphics are very nice. It is a fun game for the kids and it helps with matching skills and for free you could not ask for more.



Little Things Forever



http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/little-things-forever/id520762327?mt=8

$2.99

This is a great app. It is a little on the pricey side but in my opinion well worth it. It is timed find it game, you are given a list of things to find and you need to find them as quickly as possible. It is basically a Wheres Wally for a myriad of items. This is great for adults and kids alike. The only thing you would need to take into account is that kids would need to be able to read to know what items are on the list if they were playing without adult assistance.


Mini Piano



https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/minipiano/id289333900?mt=8

Free

What could be more fun for kids than having their own portable piano. That's what this, it plays 14 notes and has good sound. My daughter loves playing it and making up her own songs.



Little Bella's I Close My Eyes



http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/little-bellas-i-close-my-eyes/id489509208?mt=8

$0.99

This app is a virtual book, all about little Bella and her adventure of going to sleep. It is such a wonderful little story with great graphics and music. I would recommend this one for any little girl.


Make A Martian



http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/make-a-martian/id301753989?mt=8

$0.99

This app is alot of fun for both boys and girls. You are able to make your own martian and customize them. You can change their colour, type, eyes etc. Its alot of fun and all kids who my daughter have shown this app to just love it.


123 Colour



http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/123-color-hd-talking-coloring/id364892854?mt=8

$0.99

123 Colour is fun for any budding little artist. It enables children to colour by number, letter or simply do their own design. It comes with virtual colouring books but there is the option to buy others so if you do not want your kids doing this make sure to turn off in app purchases :) My daughter loves this one and I have to say its one that i enjoy playing with her.


Princess Fairy Tale Maker



http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/princess-fairy-tale-maker/id527336678?mt=8

$1.99

Princess Fairy Tale Maker has been created by Duck Duck Moose which I have found to have great apps for kids. This app allows your child to create their own fairytale with princesses, mermaids and animals. It alot of fun and definatley one to keep them occupied and amused.


Amazing Coloring Studio



http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/amazing-coloring-studio/id507378571?mt=8

Free

This app is the No 1 educational app in over 10 countries! It is a great app for kids to express their artistic side. It has additional colouring books and tools which you can purchase for an additional cost but the basic ones are great too.


Tic Tac Toe



http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tic-tac-toe/id289278457?mt=8

Free

This one is an oldy but a goody! Classic Tic Tac Toe, kids can play against their device or against another player. Its simple and fun, there are some ads in this app but for free i'm not complaining.


Little Writer



http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/little-writer-tracing-app/id515890480?mt=8

Free

Little Writer is a tracing application which is great in helping small children with their writing skills. It offers lower case, upper case, numbers and shapes. Its a wonderful aid to help children learning to write.


Faces I Make



The above pic was actually made by my 5 year old to show you how creative you can be!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/faces-imake-right-brain-creativity/id439641851?mt=8

$1.99

My daughter loves this app! It is simple and fun to use. It enables the user to make faces/people out of regular every day shapes. This app fosters creativeness and imagination. It has a catchy song which i now have memorised due to it being one of the more popular apps which my daughter loves.

Well I hope you all enjoy my list and check back soon, I'd love to hear your feedback on how you liked any of these apps or any that you might be able to suggest to me!

3 comments:

  1. Oh what a brilliant list!!!!
    There are so many new ones there that my little ones would love - it's so hard to stay on top of all the apps that keep emerging.
    Thanks for the great list - I'll be sure to share with my readers :)
    Nat x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nat I really appreciate it
    I have found your blog to be such an inspiration and i am so glad that you like the post
    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melanie,
    This is a great list of apps that you have put together, and thank you so much for sharing what you found. I love your blog site and will continue following you, as you write so well too. Well done.
    Nicki Simmons

    ReplyDelete